Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 01:55 AM   #5
axis earl

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp81752@yahoo.com View Post
My motorhome uses 30 amp connection at campgrounds. But when visiting relatives and camped in their driveway I use a converter plug and use the house outlet which is of course only 15 amps. Is this dangerous? It allows me to have lights, refrigerator, tv, even heat with no problems. But haven't tried airconditioner yet.
But, if you don't have enough volts, around 108, you could damage the AC unit. I would count on everything but the AC when on a household 15 amp plug-in. On the Axis, even on a 30 amp plug-in, running the microwave and the AC will throw a circuit breaker. Not to mention, you don't really know what other circuits are tied into your relatives' 15 amp plug-in and drawing more load. I purchased a Hughes plug-in volt meter and leave it plugged in the receptacle by the entry door so I know what it going on when on gen power or shore power. Interesting when on shore power at a RV park. Sometimes the volts are higher in the morning than in the afternoon when more people are running their AC units.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.