Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 09:31 PM   #5
thutchis

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Phase 1: Reading/Map Light

Behind the drivers head, mounted on the end of the overhead dinette cabinet was another "ugly light". I guess the purpose is to give the drivers seat a reading light when turned toward the interior of the coach or maybe a map light when stopped. Anyway, it had to go. So when I removed the ugly light I found this underneath.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Phase1_2-1.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	9871

The upper round hole was for the existing power wiring. But the big rectangular opening on the bottom was a mystery.

When I was researching lighting options on Amazon I came across this nice LED reading light that would be perfect. Ming's Mark 9090110 LED Reading Light

Problem was the base was too small to cover the big hole on the bottom, so I found this Oil Rubbed Bronze Double Cover Plate I could mount the reading light on and it would cover the hole. A single cover plate was also purchased to cover the upper hole.

I used a drill press and a hole saw to cut out a center access hole and screw mounting holes for the reading light. A plastic bushing was inserted into the center hole to protect the wiring from sharp edges.

Name:	Phase1_2-2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	9872 Click image for larger version

Name:	Phase1_2-3.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	9873

Light and cover plates were then mounted on the cabinet end. Looks very nice I think. More screw holes to fill and hide though

Name:	Phase1_2-4.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	9874
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.