Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 09:16 PM   #6
thutchis

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Phase 1: Dinette Window Valance Strip Light

I had read a post by gmc about putting a LED strip light behind the window valance here: Thor Forums - View Single Post - Dimming LED interior lights 2016 Vegas

I liked the idea so that was the final mod/upgrade in phase 1. I purchased a strip roll of 5050 warm white LED lights and a dimmer switch from American Technology Components. Its a new model, AH-SLD1-5-HS001 and only available direct from ATC. (Hint, if you think you may be using several dimmers, buy three, they give you the OEM price which is almost half retail.) I chose this dimmer because it will be used in a future upgrade that requires the 3-way capability this switch/dimmer has.

First step was to remove the valance. First you have to remove the three screws holding the shade and the two on the bottom holding the cord. With the shade removed, 3 screws hold the top of the valance and two small screws hold the bottom of the sides.

With the valance out, I attached a length of LED strip between the shade and the inside valance panel. Even though the strip has an adhesive backing, I put in some staples to make it more secure. A 3/4 hole was drilled in the front end to bring in power from under the cabinet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Phase1_3-1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	9896

I put the valance up temporarily and extended the power supply hole up into the cabinet. I used crimp spade connectors so the valance can be removed in the future for maintenance.

Name:	Crimp_Spade_Connectors.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	9898

Last step was to cut a square hole with the Dremel Multi-Tool and install the dimmer/swith on the front outside corner.

Name:	Phase1_3-2.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	9897
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum