Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #45
USTraveler

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: South Dakota
THOR #9611
Handling improved

Well we drove to AZ and back. Was a good place to spend the winter. The handling of the MH was pretty good except when we encountered 30 to 40 MPH winds in WY with 60MPH gusts and had to pull off the road and wait for about an hour on the way there. Almost lost the MH on the exit ramp. On the way home was pretty good except when we encountered 25 to 35 MPH winds with 50 MPH gusts in CO. The awning topper for the dinette slide billowed out and acted like a sail between Sterling, CO and Sydney, NE. There was no place to pull over on the county road with only about 6 inch shoulders and then a ditch. White knuckled it at 30 to 35MPH to Sydney where we pulled into a truck stop and waited 4 hours for the wind to die down. Thor wouldn't warranty the awning topper for the slide but Carefree did and sent a complete replacement. Since then I have installed the Ultratrac rear track bar on the rear, which was quite the exercise (took 7 hours). And I relented and decided to try to do the CHF on the front of the MH, even though I had convinced myself it wasn't possible. Well after about 90 minutes it was done. All those people who had disagreed with me and told me it could be done were right. I was over thinking it. Have only driven it about 40 miles since the track bar and CHF and did not have much wind or any trucks to contend with but the difference is significant. The MH wanted to stay in its' lane and it was even possible to take my hands of the wheel. Even my wife was impressed with how much easier it was for her to drive. So what I have done so far is CHF rear, then a Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, then the UltraTrac Rear Track Bar, and finally the CHF on the front. I think that is it for this year but am considering Koni shocks maybe next year to minimize the up and down movement. Will see how things go the next few trips. BTW, also installed the theater seating from RecPro. That is pretty nice. MY wife is starting to refer to the MH as a money pit.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum