Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 05:49 PM   #10
thutchis

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
The Best Solution I Could Come Up With

After much contemplation I came up with the following technique I think worked out pretty well.

After removing the ugly light I used a razor blade scraper (like for paint, or scraping bugs off the windshield). I carefully cut off the protrusion left by each screw when removed and the ridges left by the light corners.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceiling_Repair1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	10136

When the ridges are cut off it leaves a little sliver of underlying ceiling board showing. But that will be covered up later.

Next I used a center punch and a couple of taps with a hammer to just slightly indent the screw hole a bit. This gives the filler something to fill in and ensures the area around the screw hole is at least flat or slightly indented.

Name:	Ceiling_Repair2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	10137

I found this hole filler kit at the hardware. It has a tube of filler, a scraper and a sanding block all in one. (Wish I had this when I lived in a college dorm, better than toothpaste).

Name:	Ceiling_Repair3.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	10138

Regular Sheetrock filler and sandpaper would work just as well. I filled each hole, let it dry/set and gently sanded it flat. You can gently sand the vinyl ceiling without damaging it.

Last step was to touch up with some paint. I found two small bottles of acrylic paint at an art supply store. A "Mushroom color (slightly off white/tan)" and a White color. Mixing them together I was able to come very close to the existing color of the vinyl ceiling. Now the holes are almost invisible and you need to know they are there to see the patches.

Name:	Ceiling_Repair4.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	10139

Name:	Ceiling_Repair5.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	10140
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum