Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #58
Mauserdude67

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6698
Needs more

I have the Sumos mounted front and rear on my 24.1. I also have the Safe-T-Plus stabilizer installed. I just got back from about a 2500 mile round trip from Texas to California and back. While the Sumo springs do make a dramatic difference, I need more body control. I encountered heavy winds from the south on my entire trip out west (20-30mph with gusts to 50+). With properly inflated tires and the Sumos installed, I still drove most of the trip to California with at least a half turn of the steering wheel to the left to compensate for the heavy south wind. When passing or being passed by a semi-truck or encountering cross-winds, the sharp dip and then surge of the wind was very unnerving. I really had to work at keeping my RV in the proper lane.

So, I am now about to add the Hellwig heavy duty front and rear stabilizer bars and a set of Bilstein shocks to both ends. With those components working in concert with the parts already on the Axis, I am hoping to get the handling and body control down to the point of relaxed driving in all but the heaviest of winds and on the roughest of roads.

It's been said before, but that stretch of I-40 from Albuquerque to the other side of Flagstaff is brutal. If I can keep my machine from shaking itself apart and mitigate harsh shocks from the road surface along with body control afforded by the rest of the added hardware, I'll be happy.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum