Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 05:25 PM   #16
SheepyChateau

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 26b
State: California
THOR #11638
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
There are certain conditions where this is expected and safe to do so. I've stopped in a gas tanker and charter buses to cross RR tracks, etc. Generally, and in those conditions up mountain passes, there are special lanes for this. And, for the record, I apologize if I sound a bit harsh...I've had to react dangerously one too many times to people poking along in the center or left lanes, in pouring rain, with flashers on.
Yeah, I felt a bit attacked there, Gritz, and some others. I'm here to join a community, to help and to be helped. Please be instructive, but kind. Thank you.

I turned on the hazard lights because I was driving 50 mph in a 65 mph zone, in the dark, on an unfamiliar highway, on my first RV trip, with wind gusts pushing my rig 6-8" toward the lane to my left. I wanted other drivers, who might have been more familiar with the road and therefore traveling at speed, to be aware of my slower speed and the buffeting of my rig by the wind… an emergency situation. It was NOT raining. It was a windstorm. Those stronger gusts only happened twice. At no time did my rig even begin to tip, so I continued driving. If the storm had gotten worse I would have exited the highway as soon as I could find somewhere to do so (the shoulder was practically non-existent, so pulling over was not an option). Also, I had a former school bus driver traveling with me (my mom) and she did not indicate I should pull over/stop/leave the highway. And believe me, she would have… in no uncertain terms. She has successfully backed a full-sized school bus down a steep country dirt road, in the snow, with kids on it, because her turn-around spot was snowed in. She was also forced into a ditch in a school bus, with kids on it, because a logging truck came around a blind corner partially in her lane. She was able to put the bus in the ditch without hurting any of the kids, and with minimum damage to the bus. She’s a very safe, very experienced driver, as am I. I was able to keep the rig in my lane for the most part and was actually proud of myself for driving well in my first windstorm in a vehicle that basically acted like a sail.

That was only the 2nd or 3rd time in 38 years of driving that I have used hazard lights while in motion. I don't do it lightly. And I really appreciate it when the truckers and others use their hazards to indicate an emergency situation ahead of me because it gives me time to change lanes to move around them. Thank you, 99Dart, and other former truckers!

Thank you, everyone, for the heads up about the legality of driving with hazard lights on! I appreciate it! I looked it up... it's only illegal (period) to drive with hazard lights on in 10 US states and Puerto Rico. They are are: Alaska, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Mexico, Rhode Island. It’s legal to do so in California. (Hazard Light Use - AAA Digest of Motor Laws)

I’m looking forward to learning from the experienced RV drivers on this forum!
SheepyChateau is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum