Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 10:31 PM   #66
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I reread your original posts, which I'll highlight with my comments:

"Been having problems with leaks, generator, jacks, springs, etc."
[if the leak was near the passenger roof corner, then I could see this being an 'issue' per your definition of 'damaged', but how would the others have anything to do with passenger top corner damage?] Things go wrong with new RVs all the time, I wouldn't think that most of this has anything to do with any 'accident' damage that another dealer may 'suppose' happened.

"Finally worn down by CW/Thor refusal to fix anything..." [WHY did these two entities 'say' they would not fix anything under your warranty? There must be more to this story than you are relaying to the rest of us. Your WARRANTY is valid for a reason - they can't just 'refuse' to repair issues, if they really are issues.]

"... we went to an independent rv dealer to pay for warranty work." [WHY would you 'pay' ANY dealer for warranty work? They get paid by Thor, and Thor cannot 'demand' who makes your repairs, but only the amount of reimbursement to the dealer, which is typical in the business, regardless of the whether the repairing dealer is a 'Thor' dealer or not]

" Informed all issues result from rv being involved in impact on upper passenger side and not being repaired properly. Seals broken, gaping hole in drivers side roof, roof is caving in, etc." ['ALL' issues resulted from a 'supposed' accident to the passenger's upper side/corner? Really? or do you mean just a roof 'leak' and the 'gaping' hole in the driver's side roof? What does 'roof is caving in' mean? Did you really not see or notice ANY of these 'issues' when you purchased it??]

Now, I understand and don't want to seem as though you are not aggravated and put off by such a situation - most all of us would certainly be, too, but I also want to put everything in it's proper place, at least BEFORE the 'jump to conclusions' happens, though it already has, of course.
My comments and questions really involve assessing the situation from a 'non biased' angle. Here's what I mean...

The factory builds your coach on top of a vehicle chassis. They have regular steps and procedures. When it's finished, it goes to the paint booth, if you have full paint, of course. When finished, it is checked and noted as finished and set for the Transport company to pick up.
The transport company sends a driver/employee to go and retrieve the new coach, and drive it over the the transport yard, usually not far away. During this ride, the driver will note any major issues, at least those having to do with the vehicle's drive, engine, etc.
When the coach is parked at the transport company's yard, it is waiting for a driver to be assigned to it. When the driver arrives, whether the next day or two weeks later, the keys and paperwork are picked up, the driver inspects the outside of the coach with a walkaround, noting ANY issues or pre-existing damage. Believe me, the driver does NOT want to be responsible for something that happened at the factory, or the drive from the factory! The driver also does a cursory look over the interior, only for any 'major' issues, and also inspects the driver area. When ready, and cranked, the driver pulls the unit out of the yard and on it's way to the dealer.
The driver's first thought is WHERE to purchase fuel, as no unit ever is brought from the factory with more than the typical 1/4 tank of fuel, hardly enough to get too far. A driver is responsible for fuel, and WHERE the fuel is purchased, whether at a truck stop or a regular gas station, or anything in between. One of the most critical educations from the transport company to their drivers is the 'tail swing' of larger units, as this is the MOST often damage while fueling. A driver, if an accident happens, is required to immediately contact the transport company office, for direction of how to proceed. If the accident is close to 'home'(the transport yard), then more-than-likely the unit will be brought back for repairs. If too far into the trip and close to the dealer, it will most likely be noted and handled by the dealer and the factory at 'check in' when the coach arrives at the dealer's lot.
The dealer does NOT want a damaged vehicle, any more than anyone else. It puts off their time of selling it on the lot. But, it's not impossible that a coach might be damaged as it is moved around the dealer's inventory, taken for a test drive by a salesperson or potential customer, or even bumped into by another RV while parked. The dealer's inspect these units with a fine toothed comb when they arrive as THEY do not want to be responsible for any damage that THEY will have to then repair, if it was not duly noted on the 'check in' sheet that is returned to the transport company and the factory.
Everybody is trying to protect their own. It only makes sense.

Now, though, what if the unit was damaged somewhere along the way. Does that in itself make it a 'used' unit? No. These things actually happen more often than we think... but they are taken care of by the factory or the dealer before the customer purchases it. If the factory causes some damage while it's on the factory floor, and they repair it right then and there, does that make it a 'used' unit. No. If the dealer finds damage and must repair it, the same thing applies.

I feel for you, I do, and I think that your WARRANTY is what you use in these situations. The Factory gives it to you for a reason. Don't balk and let them 'tell' you they can't or won't make it right. You have to fight for it sometimes.

But, the reality is that things happen, and if we let it ruin our life, it will, but it's not truly the end of the world, but it DOES feel like it!

my BEST to you!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum