Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: 12 VDC problems
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
Red_Stephens

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29M
State: South Carolina
THOR #8318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
Had the same problem you described on my 2018 model. I was able to get the generator started and then the problem "went away" (I hope!) without finding any culprit. My dealer didn't find the problem either. Three trips later and it has not recurred. Please post a followup if you found the problem/solution. Thanks.
I believe the root cause of the issue was the batteries, which had been completely discharged while at the dealer. I thought is was the battery isolation relay under the bed, but that started working when I replaced the batteries. I bought one off Amazon and have it on hand just in case. I wasn't able to get the batteries to charge above 12.4 volts and found a slight leak in one. Thor wasn't any help at all, all I could get out of the guy I was talking to was take it back to the dealer, you have a converter problem. I'm not fond of that isolation relay, it's more of a solenoid than a relay that when engaged it should latch in mechanically until voltage is applied in reverse polarity which disengages; thus it being used as a use/store relay. I suspect the low voltage from the batteries wasn't allowing it to fully engage when the use/store switch was engaged and may have weakened it somewhat resulting in it being finicky.
Red_Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum