Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Inverter
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 11:10 PM   #4
Irontent

Brand: DRV
Model: MS 40KSSB4
State: Colorado
THOR #10148
Quote:
Originally Posted by f350ms38rssa View Post
Ever since I hooked up my batteries again I don't get power to my fridge and my inverter goes into alarm. Any ideas?
Using a digital volt meter (if you don't have one, recommend you purchase a low-end Fluke or an imported one) check the voltage at the input of the inverter. If you have the residential fridge, it should be a Magnum 1000 inverter. The battery input is at the top of the inverter and is fed by large red and black cables. Determine if the voltage present is about 12.3-14.2. The voltage will depend on whether or not the inverter is powered by AC (or not), and is trying to charge the battery (or not). You can turn off the inverter using the control panel.

Another trouble-shooting check would be to use your digital meter to check the incoming AC voltage at the inverter. This check should be done by someone qualified to work on 115v AC powered mains. The voltage present is lethal -- so much caution (and reasonable experience) is needed in order to not fry oneself.

Also, check the AC breaker for the inverter (it is labeled REFER in my trailer). If the trailer is plugged into shore power, and the breaker is on, the inverter should transfer the 115v shore power to the inverter output regardless of the state of the batteries.

BTW, after you solve this problem, you might wish to unplug the converter, as the Magnum will do a better job of maintaining your trailer batteries, and is rated to supply all the 12v power you need for lights, and the like, when you are on shore-power. Alternatively, you can turn-off the converter breaker, but I was concerned than another device might share the converter circuit -- who knows???

Good luck.

Good luck.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum