Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
jabrabu

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Replacing Axxera AVM70 stereo

The Axxera AVM70 stereo in my Chateau 31E continues to annoy the heck out of me. When listening to a podcast it cuts in and out all the time, even if the podcast was previously downloaded via wifi. The display flickers whenever the headlights are on. And there is the annoying muting of the audio whenever you use turn signals and it switches to the camera view. I also find the rear camera display is pretty useless in the dark or in bright light (i.e. most of the time).

I would also like to have an RV navigation system where I can enter the RV dimensions to avoid getting into bad situations where it doesn’t fit. I was considering getting a Garmin RV nav unit, but I think I'd prefer to have the nav system built into the stereo if it had the features I want. Apple Car Play would also be a nice feature to have.

So, I decided to replace the Axxera with the Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX DVD/CD reciever. It used to be their flagship model and sold for about $800, but it has now been replaced with the 8201NEX (which looks the same to me), so it’s now $620 at Walmart or $645 Amazon. This seems like a good deal to get a top of the line Pioneer stereo with Car Play plus a navigation system.

Here are some highlights:
· 7” capacitive touch-screen display
· Built-in navigation system, includes free map updates. Has 7.9 million points of interest.
· Can create a navigation system profile for the RV, with vehicle dimensions and weight. Also which type of roads you want to avoid (dirt roads, toll roads, etc.)
· Receives free traffic into
· Has Apple Car Play and Android Auto

· Compatible with the existing cameras. Also has an additional camera input if you want one.

· Does not change the radio volume when switching to camera view

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum