Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Wooden Door Mat
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
Calman

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Wooden Door Mat

How many times have we heard “Wipe your feet”? Too numerous to count; especially on rainy days.

The Vegas is a “direct entry” RV so there are no extended steps meaning we have the possibility of tracking water, mud, etc into the RV and encountering a miffed compartment cleaner. (Navy term for house cleaner.) Decided a light, mobile exterior wooden door mat at the entrance would save a couple of lives and keep the RV cleaner and that 18”x24” would be an ideal size for my RV.

I took an old oak pallet and broke it down.

Took slats of equal width and planed them smooth then routered the edges to remove any possible splinters. Cut all six down to 24” slats.

Took the pallet supports to make one for the mat. Cut them so all three supports had an arch which allows water to run under and through the mat instead of ponding at the entrance. These are 18” long.

Using 2” deck screws I mounted the slats to the supports. I predrilled all holes to avoid splintering and the end screws were not inserted in line with each other. This was done to keep the mat from twisting.

Next step, when we return from Medoc Mountain State Park next week, is to apply a couple of coats of Thompson Waterproofing to extend its life time.

Side benefits:
• If you got an outside shower you can move it around there to stand on, rinse off, dry feet, and put feet back in dry flip flops, sandals, etc.
• Wood left over from cutting up pallet will be used for a fire while camping this weekend.

Cost: Nothing – pallets provided by friend

Time: About two hours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wooden Door Mat.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	10419  
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.