Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #7
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Ah but doesn't that just follow the normal Class C ratio (I see many class C's where the wheelbase to overall length ratio is just over 50% where Axis/Vegas (and most class A's) the ratio is much higher--like 61% for our 24.1). For another discussion I had made this spreadsheet comparing wb to length for Forrester Class C's vs Axis/Vegas units:Attachment 10469 --even looking at those, however, the Axon appears to be even worse...
I agree that too short a wheelbase isn’t a great idea, although I’m not sure there is anything “normal” in the RV industry. I think designers build whatever they want based on what they think people will buy with little regard to how it may affect function.

Both E-Series and F-53 are available with 158” wheelbase, but I see very few F-53-based Class A motorhomes that short. On the other hand the 158” E-Series is very common on Class Cs below 25 feet in total length.

For comparison, all Sprinter Class As and Cs are 170”, and are “normally” limited to 24 ~ 25 feet. Their WB ratio is a little better, which may contribute to their better handling and stability.

As I’ve mentioned before, I’m still puzzled why they don’t use the E-Series 176” WB chassis for mid-size Cs (25 ~ 28 feet) instead of stretching the shorter 158” WB. I recall only seeing specs for one Class C with 176” WB.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum