Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2018, 03:12 AM   #1
Mo_Mike

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Weird question concerning ONAN 4000 generator

We have had our VEGAS for two years and never had an issue starting the generator. I just always tried to start it a couple of times and then, on the third time, it would fire right up.

Never realized that the generator had a PRIMER on it. So yesterday, the generator refused to start. Found the PRIME function on the switch on the generator (and I am aware that the switch on the dash of the VEGAS also can be used to PRIME)

Anyway, primed the generator and still no fire. Then read in the manual (directions are always the last resort) last night that the PRIME needs to be engaged for 30 seconds... So, followed directions this morning, held the PRIME switch for a full 30 seconds, and the generator fired on the second start attempt.

So, sorry for the long post, how long do the rest of you PRIME the GENSET? 30 seconds seems like a long time (even though it did work), but since I really never primed it before just though I would ask.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.