Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkworm2 View Post
Is it necessary to have brakes on a tow dolly. I have a '15 Miramar 34.2 and want to pull a '15 CRV with the new CCV Transmission. Just wonder with weight differential if I'd need brakes on the dolly. Looking at rigs running u and down the road, I see a lot on class A gas that do not have brakes that I can see.

Many thanks
First two questions:

1. What does you state of registration require? Each states requirements are different and some states even require a title and license plates for tow dollies.
2. Do you ever intend to tow the vehicle in Canada? If you plan on travelling to Canada brakes are required on towed vehicles. This includes going to Alaska on the AL CAN highway.

There are a lot of folks that tend to use a dolly without brakes. Some of these folks do use a supplemental braking system similar to used by folks that tow 4 down. The issue here is with these systems you only realize 50 percent of the braking capacity since the front wheels of the car are on the dolly

To me it doesn't matter how you are towing (4 down or dolly) with over 3K behind you in a moderate to sudden stop the brakes are a blessing. They are also extremely beneficial when travelling along mountain roads.

For dollies you can either get surge brakes or electric brakes. Mine is equipped with surge brakes and I wouldn't tow without them.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.