Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #9
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Yup 8 MPG. Maybe going downhill on a 3 percent grade with a 30 MPH tailwind. That is the only way someone is going to cut through the wind with that eyebrow on top.

I would be interested in knowing what engine RPM is required to maintain 55 MPH on level ground.
Ford specs show the 16,000-pound F53 chassis comes with 4.30 gears, 0.71 overdrive, and 33-inch OD tires. That works out to fairly tall gearing. I estimate around 1750 RPM at 55 MPH in top gear.

By comparison, the new E-Series stripped chassis, which also has the new 6R140 6-speed transmission with V10, may be geared lower according to Ford specs I've seen. They only list 4.10 and 4.56 final gears, but tires are much smaller in diameter.

As small and efficient as the Axis/Vegas is, they should be able to run easily with 3.73 final gears. I'm not sure if manufacturers can special order 3.73 gears in lieu of 4.10.

An early interview with Thor manager suggested Axis/Vegas were geared extra tall for fuel economy. If so, that option is not shown on Ford specs I've seen.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum