Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 08:56 PM   #10
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry B. View Post
Chance- are you saying I should use one of the lower gears when ascending other than Drive position?
Most motorhomes won’t be able to climb steeper hills in top gear, so it will need to use a lower gear one way or another.

If you leave it in drive, the computer will choose a gear for you. That works pretty well most of the time.

I personally prefer to shift to a lower gear manually because I prefer to use a little more RPMs at lower torque to get the needed power. That’s not always quite as fuel efficient, but I feel it’s easier on engine.

The reason I don’t always like the computer selecting gears for me is that I’m not usually in that big a hurry, and if I let up on throttle a bit to reduce power, the transmission will shift up automatically into a higher gear, defeating my wish to run at slightly less torque which is what I normally want. I don’t like going up long climbs at full throttle.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.