Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #79
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
good deal macgyver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
P.S. — By the way, wasn’t suggesting that sometimes axles don’t exceed tire capacity. In my case, the rear is limited to 6,084 pounds due to tires, but axle is rated around 6,400 pounds.

Also, on Ford SRW E-350 cutaways, the rear is rated and limited by tires to same 6,084 pounds, but axle can go up to 7,800 pounds.

I personally think it’s a shame that Ford doesn’t install heavier-duty wheels and tires on these SRW E-350 chassis to make an 11,000 ~ 12,000 pound option. I’m not a big DRW fan when singles will do.
Just a gut feel opinion... my guess is that you are right about tires not always being the weak link... brakes and lots of other variables go into it, not just axle strength and tires.

My guess on my rig is this...& considering I'm running the rear axle at capacity. I feel like the tires probably are my weak link. the axle is likely much more thoroughly engineered and sized, with good safety factor built in, good tolerances, lots of testing, etc... ditto the suspension, brakes, etc...

but the tires are a disposable thing.... engineered and tested of course in design, but they are not intended to last as long as that axle is.
On top of all of that, they are subjected to so much more abuse...

Running right at the rated limit, I'd "sleep easier", big time, if my tires were rated much higher than my axle.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.