Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2018, 02:58 AM   #2
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
yeah, mine was partially ripped off when my tire blew. Installed pretty much the same as I recall. I can't remember all the details at the moment. I bought a replacement from Thor through the dealer. I do remember that the replacement didn't line up perfectly and easily.....had to do some clamping get a bit creative. I used some spray foam, the low expansion type made for doors behind the trim in the hollow, with the clamps and some tape to hold it in place while it cured. Had to stay on top of the leaks coming out through the front side.

That existing sealant looks like silicone but it might be something else they use. Regardless it cleans off with some work. I had my trim completely removed to do the clean-up and prep. That would make clean up easier I think that trying to do it with the trim partially installed like you picture shows. Don't remember exactly, but I probably used a combination of mineral spirits, a plastic scraper, maybe a scotchbrite pad.

With silicone type caulks, I've learned that mineral spirits sort of swell the stuff a bit and then some of it can be mechanically removed...several iterations though to get all the residue so that something else will stick to the surface. spirits followed by scrubbing and scraping, followed by more spirits, more scraping, etc.... That's why I hate silicone....it doesn't stick well enough to most things but yet some of it really holds tight....hard to get all the residue off, but if you don't nothing will stick, not even more silicone. Polyurethane sealants, which I think this stuff might be, is a little bit easier in my very limited experience.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.