Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2015, 01:37 AM   #2
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivekitties View Post
So... today, we picked up the RV from storage, took it over to Camping World, and on the way back, we decided to turn on the generator and run the rear coach AC's to cool it down.

While I was at Camping World, I asked them if I should turn on my "Inverter" all the time, sometimes, never? When do I use it? They said there was no harm in leaving the inverter on all the time. I asked in another thread about this here, too and got some great info: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...used-1613.html

So anyway, CW told me I could leave that green button on all the time and it would cause no harm. So I pressed it, turned it on, and then I turned on the generator too, and we drove back to storage.

Turned on the AC's and they didn't come on. Simply wouldn't turn on.

Could I have blown a fuse perhaps? Neither the living room roof mounted AC nor the bedroom roof mounted AC would work.

Did CW give me incorrect info - because it does seem to differ from the info I was given in the thread above. I hope I didn't just fry my system :-/

Confused RV Owner

Shawn
Shawn,

First off, why did you take it to CW? If they were working anywhere around the electrical system my bet is they, not you, tripped a breaker or blew a fuse. If the AC came on and then stopped when you turned it on I'd say you blew the fuse but since you say they wouldn't turn on it sounds like they did something to trip the breaker or fuse.

As to what camping world told you about the inverter and generator.

If you are running the Generator, there is no reason (zip, nada, none) to have the inverter turned on. The generator is supplying the coach with 110VAC to all components as well as charging the house batteries. Having the inverter on as well only serves to heat up the inverter and cause its internal fan to run for cooling. It is not supplying power to anything while the generator is running. Why put wear and tear on an electronic component when it is not needed?

Also, if you are using the inverter the AGS (Automatic Generator Start), when required, should start the generator to recharge the batteries and then automatically shut the generator down when the batteries are fully charged.

Uh Oh, wait a minute I forgot something, if the inverter runs without doing anything and wears out its internal fan or components, for CW, that is worst case another CW warranty repair billed to Thor and best case the CW sale of a replacement inverter if the warranty has expired.

Sounds like you are going through my experience with the dealer of my previous class c. It always took two trips for service, one to fix the original problem and one to fix what they broke while fixing the original problem.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum