Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 11:59 PM   #1
Moondoggie

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #6634
Portable AC question.

My 2017 Thor Ace air conditioner just isn't cutting it for us this summer. We've tried the easy stuff (insulating the windows, installing directional vents for less restricted air flow, cleaning filters, etc.) The Thor Ace is 30 amps and I'm really not up for the expense and trouble if upgrading to 50 amps and/or adding a second rooftop unit. But
Amazon has an 8000 btu portable AC that would fit perfectly in the bedroom window and with a kit I already have it could be easily vented through that window opening. My only concern is whether or not my generator (or the campground pedestal breakers, for that matter) can handle my factory installed AC and the portable at the same time. The specs on the portable indicate an 800 watt pull, but in the questions section of the amazon listing page, one guy says he measured 840. I know that my wife's 1250 watt hair dryer causes breakers to throw if it is being run at the same time as the as the roof top AC.
My question, I guess, is would the 840 extra watts slip in under my system limits, or do I need to shop for a nice little fan???
Thanks in advance!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.