Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #16
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecm View Post

.....cut....

Mine is a ducted system. I have three vents aft of the unit, one vent on the unit, and two vents forward of the unit.

If I close all of the vents and open only the two forward, I get minimal airflow, but some air flow. If I close all of forward plus the one on the unit, I get decent flow from the two above the bed. At night I can open the back two and the bed area is sleep-able. If I close all vent except the forward vents there is no way anyone could use the above cabin bunk. It probably stays hotter than outside.

However, during the day the RV will only stay about 10 degrees under outside temperature.

I have read that I should pull down all of the walls in the over head cabin and insulate. Apparently Thor does not believe in wasting money there for the comfort of the client.

Any thing else I should do? Would replacing the current AC help?

Any thoughts?

Chuck
Three thoughts:

I’d first ask Thor why they don’t offer a 15,000 BTU A/C as an option before seriously considering switching to a larger A/C unit. I suspect it’s because your generator is of lower power rating than most motorhomes, and you “may” be introducing a new problem under certain conditions.

One of the highest heat loads on any motorhome is the windshield, particularly new Class Cs with large slanted windshields. If you want to reduce heat gain most effectively, an outside cover that goes over entire windshield is by far the most effective, specially when parked in sun. Interior curtains and shades don’t stop heat from entering the RV, they convert sunlight to heat at curtain or shade. At that point hot air will rise and heat bed area over cab. The biggest drawback with the outside covers I’ve used over 20 years is that you can’t see out of windshield once installed. However, we like the extra privacy so that issue isn’t all bad. If the view out the front is nice, sometimes I’ll take it off during parts of day when not needed to block sun.

Lastly, from your description, it sounds like you may have an issue with duct to the front. I’d check that out or have it checked. When you close the others to the back of MH, you should be getting significant airflow to front. You may have a blockage, or disconnected duct, or who knows. I doubt dealer is correct on it being an engineering flaw, at least not entirely or from duct size standpoint.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum