Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 06:50 AM   #1
lspotho

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Question about generator, house batteries, and charging time

We have a 2015 Thor Siesta 24' class C, with 2 12-volt coach batteries. When traveling, we typically stay at places without hookups (state parks, for example, or a local park alongside the beach) for a few days, usually moving either every day or every other day - and driving for 2 to 4 hours (on days we drive) usually recharges the batteries. Then we find an RV park with hookups, for luxurious showers, use of the dump station, water refill, occasional laundry, etc.

Anyway, we have been without hookups for 3 days now, and stopped in one place, so no engine charging - and the house battery status indicators showed between 1/3 and 2/3. Maybe the first time ever below 2/3 usage. We don't use much electricity - all LED lights, we don't watch TV. The blower in the furnace is probably the biggest user - and we rarely use that. Altho we have on this trip...

As an aside - I hate ALL of those indicators - SO little info. And some are just wrong - black water goes quickly to 2/3, while gray water never budges from zero - but we can deal with that. It's the lack of useful info that bugs me...

Anyway, today I fired up the generator for probably the first time since we bought the RV. (Microwave powered up so I know generator was working.) I ran it for about 15 minutes, and the battery indicator said fully charged. I was skeptical, but turned it off, and, over the next hour or so, the indicator drifted back down to 1/3 (or more) full.

So, here are my questions. Just roughly, how long should it take to charge the batteries from the generator? Do I need to turn off the generator to get a (somewhat, or more) accurate reading? Is there an easy way to get a more accurate battery charge indication, generally - ie, a better meter?

Any input here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan K

PS - I realize the batteries or the generator could be having a problem, but I don't think so. Let's assume not..

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum