Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 08:40 PM   #77
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Perhaps they should but don't always. Is that a big negative?

At least one Thor Class C I rented with Onan 4,000 watt generator relied on manual connection. And it really didn't seem that bad. My Coachmen was the same way.

Basically the shore power cable was plugged into generator while traveling or any time there wasn't shore power. When setting up, the cable was unhooked from generator and plugged to campsite recepticle. To be honest, beyond saving 5 seconds per setup, I'm not sure what an automatic transfer switch accomplishes.

Do you recommend it as a must-have? None of these had an inverter but I don't think that would change much as far as generator ATS goes.
I don't think it's a negative but it would sure be an inconvenience. I would hate to have to go out in a thunderstorm to move a cable from a pedestal to the generator.

My ATS is the Furrion F50-ATS

Click image for larger version

Name:	ATS.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	534

Here are the installation instructions which provide some info for your reading enjoyment.

Furrion_Automatic_Transfer_Switch[1].pdf

Interesting that the folks were out doing the annual service on my 20KW whole house generator today. The tech told me that an additional function of the ATS on my home system is to prevent "back bleeding" of power from the generator into the electrical grid. I also have a "smart switch" which is basically is an EMS for the house and is based on primary and secondary circuits.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum