Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #7
CAC Windsport

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds Windsport 36R
State: Ontario
THOR #8513
I just looked up the safety certification requirements for brakes in Ontario, it requires, amongst a lot of other things, 1.6mm of brake pad above the warning indicator or rivets.
I put the 10000 kms in some mountains but probably only 15% of that mileage. I also towed a jeep without brake assist but I did have the tow mode on the transmission on all the time which uses the transmission as a trans brake by down shifting aggressively when stopping.
I would say that 1.6mm isn't a lot of brake pad (8mm is new) but not only did I go through that thickness, I went through all the pads right down to the metal on the rears.
I guess it's a costly live and learn experience for me and need to be more aware of how fast brakes can wear on this vehicle. I assume I should get at least 30000 km out of these brakes before starting to worry about distorting another set of rotors but I will monitor more closely.
I will also look into brake assist on my jeep toad to see if it's worth that investment.
Any suggestions on braking systems for tow vehicles?

Sent from my Life One X2 using Thor RV Forum mobile app

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.