Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 07:08 PM   #20
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo877 View Post
My 28A came with a spare but no Jack or Lug Wrench. I am going to purchase a Jack from Lowe's and I have a standard star lug wrench.My question would be is where do you place the Jack to change the tire? I don't think I would ever attempt to change the tire myself but would still like to know where the jacking points are in case the guy they send out to chance the tire doesn't know. Ya never know.
You should find detail instructions on the Ford owners manual. If not, it’s available on web.

I’m fairly certain your 28A is on an E-Series chassis like mine, except you have duallies and a 4-ton jack. My present one is only 2-tons if I recall correctly.

Anyway, on front I-Beams (part of Twin-I-Beam suspension), there is a peg-looking knob sticking out the front of each beam that the factory jack is designed to go under. At home I’ve used a hydraulic jack under beam, but I have to say that my factory mechanical jack with better support feels a lot safer to me. Granted it takes a bit more work to raise vehicle, but it’s not bad at all since you’re lifting the axle directly. I would not jack from under the frame for various reasons, including that you have to lift much higher to decompress springs.

The rear jack location is under the axle tube, and that’s not easy to reach with my factory jack, particularly if you have a rear flat with single rear tires (was my only tire change on the road). Due to vehicle long rear overhang, and low ground clearance, it requires getting down on the ground to place the jack, and to ensure it’s on right after you start the lift. I always double check to make certain it won’t (can’t) slip. I’d guess that placing any jack under rear axle will not be easy.

By the way, never place jack under differential pumpkin even if it’s easier to reach. That can cause damage. Also, my factory jack has long handle so I can lift rear while behind van for safety. I don’t recall how my Class C Ford jack worked, but think it was the same — just heavier duty.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum