Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 05:34 PM   #7
The_Breeze

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
That's correct the charger wiring to the batteries. Not the 120 vac.

And to piggy back on Mustang46555 said lithium batteries for RV's aren't there just yet although they are getting close.

I've personally had lithium batteries for hand held radios over heat in the charger that is made for them.

Thanks Scrub. That helps. I know what you're talking about. I use LiPos in RC planes. That doesn't make me an expert, just oriented and they're subject to that too if you don't handle them the way you're supposed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The problem with Li-Ion batteries overheating is that an internal short develops within one of the cells and causes a thermal runaway condition that will typically destroy any nearby cells (or the whole battery).

Typically a short will develop if the battery is over discharged (see here for a long explanation).

I've had relatively large Li-Ion batteries in my past 3 vehicles now without any issue (23kWh, 8kWh, and now 60kWh)--two of which had/have thermal management controllers to keep temps in line. In all cases the batteries are prevented from discharging too much.
Thanks Jamie. Did you have the luxury of trying out different brands and would you recommend one over the other? I'll have limited space in the existing hold down trays so I may wind up just finding something that fits. Still, it's good to have a recommendation going in.

Happy 4th everyone.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum