Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
Long & Winding road

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Ceramic Window Tint is amazing

After I tweaked my AC unit to make it perform better (see my post "Try this before you buy 2nd AC unit" from yesterday) I had all of my windows tinted with Ceramic Window Tint. This stuff is amazing (but very expensive so it took me a year before I pulled the trigger). They have what they unofficially call "Clear Tint" (but its actually “85%” (so only 15% tint color) but looks almost clear. It rejects around 45 % of heat (and around 75 % on darker color tint) and 99% of UV rays! I had ALL of my factory tinted windows done in "Clear tint" (even had my entire front windshield done since you cant even tell its installed) and also had the slider widows in cockpit done with 22% ceramic (which matches the factory shade and color perfectly). Now I don’t even use my reflective bubbles in the windows to reject heat (unless I want it dark inside or more privacy). This is wonderful on long trips in the blazing sun or that picnic or quick stops that you don’t want to bother with reflective bubbles to keep cool inside.

The factory window tint does NOT reject UV rays and lets in a ton of heat so by "double tinting" them it really make a difference and I cant tell they are any darker than before. In fact if you put your hand on the window or the aluminum window frame that’s been in the sun for hours its much cooler to the touch than before. And if you have the AC on and you put your hand on the table or the seats where sun had been shining its actually cool to the touch (I know hard to believe but its true).

The front windshield lets in about half as much heat and will be warm to the touch where the sun has been shining but its not hot like it use to be. This may not be for every one but the wife like it. It should keep our drapes and upholstery looking like new for much longer, not to mention I don’t squint like I use to and its better for our skin. At night the front windshield looks normal and keeps my eyes from getting fatigued with on coming traffic lights and street light.

But the down side is I notice the glass inside is more reflective in the cockpit area - you see the other side of the cabin, dash refection, defroster vents and the outside enviromental / traffic surrounding in your side windows from the oposite side so it takes some getting use to. I put down some anti skid drawer liners stuff (the kind with holes in it) and that seems to help some.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum