Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 07:13 PM   #9
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp013111 View Post

....cut..... As far as if it is necessary I am tired of just running 1 AC unit and having to turn it off to use the microwave.
Any other ideas are welcome and thanks again.

A family member purchased a Classic motorhome that was upgraded from 30 to 50 Amps and the work was done poorly, looking like a DIY job. It can be done, and if done at all, I suggest doing it right. In my opinion a good electrician familiar with doing this type of work will not benefit much from Thor drawings. Wiring is fairly basic and most things that matter will be replaced anyway. Not saying drawings may not help, but I doubt they are necessary. Just my 2 cents.

P.S. — Before spending a lot of money, I suggest you first spend a little time collecting data so you can make an informed decision.

I ran my A/C and microwave simultaneously with 30-Amp service all the time and didn’t have an issue. It’s possible you may have other loads in background you’re not accounting for, or perhaps your A/C is old, worn or dirty and draws more current than it should. There could be many reasons why 30 Amps isn’t enough.

It may be cheaper to replace A/C with higher efficiency unit. And if looking at a second A/C, you may want to look at newer motorhomes that run 2 smaller 11,000 BTUH A/Cs on 30-Amp service. To run microwave you’d still have to turn one of the 2 A/Cs off. There are lots of options depending on budget.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.