Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #23
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Interesting concept, however, how many people limit driving their coaches to "level roads" 85 - 90 percent of my annual camping is in the mountains so any drain to Horse Power is significant.

Even when travelling to Florida I am travelling along rolling terrain.

Sorry, until the option is available for between 2,000 - 3,000-dollars, to include solar array, I can not see any type of economic benefit to it's implementation.

Has any one seen any type of reliability or "Total Cost of Ownership" to support that type of option? I do know a lot of folks that have the all electric coaches have all kinds of problem with the electronic control systems and components.
I used 100 HP on level road as an example to put your estimate into proper context. Yeah, in hills and mountains that big V10 can also make 300 HP, right? So what, it doesn't change the fact that as a percent of engine power an alternator is a very small load. And beyond that it can be cut off when engine is nearing it's capacity so it would have no effect at all on hill climbing. That technology is already in use and becoming common.

If value is based strictly on cost, then an Onan is probably the only right solution. For me cost is not the only factor. At the North Rim recently I wanted to make coffee and use the microwave during periods the generator wasn't allowed. I would have happily paid a premium for a system with capabilities like the E-Trek's.

Based on opinions expressed above on how generators end up getting used, plus my own too, I think a similar system to the E-Trek in lieu of a traditional generator would be something I would buy in a new RV if offered as a reasonably-priced option.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum