Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 10:08 PM   #1
sduff

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #12345
Newbie from Colorado Springs

I am new to the RV world, just purchased a 2017 Thor Chateau 31W. It was in excellent condition and it had 4700 miles!

Right of the bat, the family and I did a big maiden voyage to South Dakota in order to see Mount Rushmore for the second time... over 1000 miles round trip! We stayed at a Passport America campsite for four days.

The coach drove and handled GREAT! And I learned to appreciate how everything worked.

I also learned a lot of dos and don'ts. However, thanks to friends who are experienced RVers, online forums like this one, and YouTube; I avoided any serious errors.

Unfortunately, within 200 miles of beginning our trip the cameras cameras connected to our Axxera radio stopped working.

We were driving through 100 degree heat in Wyoming when the cameras died. The heat that was coming of the engine cover (doghouse) was nearly unbearable at the time.

Took the Chateau to a major camping outlet so they could evaluate it so I could file a claim using the 30 day 1000 mile warranty that came with the coach.

The warranty company would not let me file a claim because the coach had to be at the facility actually doing the repairs BEFORE the 1,000 MILES were over.

I wish they had made this clear before I went and paid the major camping outlet mechanics.

Also, the major camping outlet mechanics told me that I would have to replace the whole radio! They said they checked the video connections and they were all fine.

The major extended warranty I had paid for before the trip would not cover the damage because I was covered by another warranty when the fault occurred!

Fortunately, I was able to fix the damage myself. It was only a bad video cable! A "wire" that was sticking out from the dash when we purchased the Coach was actually a flimsy video cable that had likely developed a short.

I replaced the flimsy male to male RCA "wire" Thor used with a much thicker RCA cord. I also made sure I tied it up properly so it would not work it's way out from under the dash or interfere with the engine cover's removal or installation. .

For some reason, the major camping outlet mechanics, who said they had "checked" all the video connections, were not able to identify this quick and easy solution. I think they just wanted me to keep paying for more hours while they "tried" to fix it. They also pretended like they had never worked on this type of radio before.

In less than one month of living the RV life I have learned to be wary of major camping outlet mechanics and extended service plans!

However, despite these hiccups I am blessed to be living the RV life, and I am looking forward to more adventures with my family.

We are headed to Estes Park Colorado near Rocky Mountain National Park tomorrow... Wahoo!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.