Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 01:09 AM   #32
vegasruv24.1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yes, I know they say "20 deg temp diff and your AC is working fine". But I disagree with that after I did my mods. (But I might have been just lucky with my re

I say try to get as much as you can out of any AC unit as long as it dont frost up. Why limit yourself (or accept) 20 deg? Plus I ask myself why does my 15 year old car AC put out 37 to 40 deg and the RV is only 65 deg?

Yesterday I cranked up the AC (RV was out in full sun) and my thermostat showed 96 deg in the bedroom so put my temp probe in the vent under the direct cold air flow and 10 min later and it showed 45 deg! I dont know exact inlet temp but it had to be close to 96 deg. Thats 51 deg differences!! Even if around the AC it was cooler like 90 that still 45 deg. And I really dont care what the inlet is as long as the output is 45 deg! LOL.

So I set my timer and at 30 minutes it dropped 5 deg (91) then 30 more mintues it was at 85 deg. I we loaded up for a picnic with my 84 year old mother and with the cab AC and roof AC running full blast 30 minutes later we were at 74 deg in the middle of the RV and 76 in the bedroom. Im happy with my results. We stopped and I pulled the curtains to block the two front cockpit windows (left the front windsheild open) and the temp dropped to 72 deg in the kitchen area and 73 in the back (but that was about an hour later).

Full sun the entire time, 93 deg outside temp with high humidity.

Last year I suffered along because mine was only doing about 65 deg out temp but it would never cool the RV below 82 degrees with ALL of the windows blacked out with reflective bubbles (in full sun). I dont even use the bubble now (Pain in the rear) unless im parked in one spot for half a day or more - Even then I like to have a view so I will remove if no direct sun comming in.

But like they say results may vary and the cockpit area is warmer by the front window but not bad.

I need to put by temp gage on the coffee table between the camptains chairs for my next test.

And then the final test I will use all my bubbles and black out all windows and see if I can get into the 60's! Burr. Might use entire the RV for a frig when we have company over. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I say try to get as much as you can out of any AC unit as long as it dont frost up. Why limit yourself (or accept) 20 deg? Plus I ask myself why does my 15 year old car AC put out 37 to 40 deg and the RV is only 65 deg?

so I will answer you question.... the reason the car works as it does, the condenser and the fan, that and air flow over bigger condenser.. the roof ac has poor at best condenser cooling so the Freon stays hotter...then compresses at a higher temp...that and multiple more air space..

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum