Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 03:13 AM   #35
Long & Winding road

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
first off... I am willing to throw everything I know, or think I know out the window to learn something new....the probe deal...seems to me that it is a temp sensor that senses 32 degrees and shuts the compressor down..... sound about right???? and the AC is a cold / heat exchanger.... right... meaning the Freon comes in to the evap cold, the warm air inside blows across the evap and cools and blows out the service duct... the hot Freon goes then to the condenser...where it is cooled... then back to get re compressed, making it cold again... sound about right???? so the probe does nothing till the evap gets to 32 degrees.... right???so would you mind giving more imput that I obviously don't have....how would moving the probe up or down do any thing, unless you were freezing up the coils???next,... the very most efficient...is a 22 degree split.... your say'n that you are getting a 27 degree split... but @ 90 degree ambient temp, 72 is only a 18 degree temp drop...

I thought you were throwing away the rules with me. LOL.

I didnt look at any "splits" or "Deltas" or even "Flux Capacitors". LOL . Im not trying to explain why mine works better Im just telling you what I did to mine and the results I had in hopes it can help others.

All im saying is im getting 18 - 22 degree drop in temperature (from my: uncertified wall thermosat, digtal thermometer in kitchen area and my Auto Zone AC temp probe) consistently.

I don’t know all the fundamentals or have any expertise in HVAC. I don’t have all the answers (I sure wish I did).

All I know is I insulated the cold air return box on the roof, used pipe insulation on the copper tubing on roof and moved my Thermistor probe up about 4 inches and my cold air OUTPUT temp when from 65 deg (at best) last year to 45 degrees (consistanly) this year (with all 3 mods).

It may not work for you but it don’t cost anything to move the probe and its totally reversible so why not try it?

Beside you might find you had a small leak from the cold side over to the warm intake side.

Perhaps with just me fixing my small cold air leak I would have been at 55 degrees last year (which might be normal??) and I only realized a 10 degree again this year.

Why dont we all test our output temps and post hear. (before and after mods) That way we know what the Average norm should be, what the average gain is with diff mods. Just make reference which brand AC you have and BTU output your unit(S) have so we can compare apples to apples.

I think the answer to your 32 degree temp is this two fold:

A: Perhaps the AC stops at "32 deg"... perhaps it stops when it gets to "45" degees? Now See B.

B: Perhaps mine is doing so much better because the ends of the condenser cool quicker (45 deg?) so my unit was sensing it was "cold enough" (it was one inch from the bottom orginally) but now that I moved it up about 4 inches and its in a warmer spot (but unit wants max cool because air is still warm) and now more of the condenser is cooler (Now 32 deg over more coils) so the warm air is getting even colder and it helping drop the output temp?

Maybe? But another post a couple of days ago suggested this was wrong so im just grasping since your looking for answers.

I dont know the answers, I dont even question them anymore.... Im just ejoying the results I have on my unit.

Thow out the "Rules" and just Try it and let us know your outcome.

Im sure in not alone in this. I would love to hear about all the temps and the tricks that we all have for the AC system.

Enjoy the cool breeze and think of of the poor soles without RVs to tinker with.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.