Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #70
gmtech16450yz

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Remember the whole point of this post was
The whole point of your post was awesome! It's why I come to forums. You learned something and shared what you learned with us all. I LOVE IT! I'm all about learning and sharing, it's my favorite thing to do in life. I spent my entire career being a mentor to hundreds of techs, they were always grateful to learn what I knew, but they didn't always realize I learned a ton from them in the process. And a lot of the time what we were both learning had absolutely nothing to do with our job.

I think I spent more time as a therapist than an auto mechanics mentor actually! I once asked a guy I worked with what he'd do if his son came home and told him he was gay. The guy immediately replied to me... "I'd kill him!". He wasn't kidding. Many, many hours of discussions on that particular
subject over many years of working with him changed how he'd answer that question today. I learned more about human nature (one of my favorite subjects) and he learned to be more understanding and compassionate about things people have no control over.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. I'm sorry I derailed the thread a little bit. As you can see, I'm pretty passionate about encouraging learning and new discoveries that often come from thinking outside the box. I'm probably a little too sensitive when I feel new discoveries or learning is possibly being threatened by anything negative. I'll try to be better!

Sooooooo, I'm actually going to do what you've been begging people to do! (Actually others have been asking for the same data, the actual delta between inlet and outlet temps.) I'm going to put a digital thermometer in the inlet side, and another one in the outlet side. We're going to the lake this weekend, I'll have plenty of opportunity to run the AC in hot weather. I'll try to test it both ways, with the probe in the original/stock location and with it hanging free. Hopefully I'll have some data for you and others here.

BTW, you don't have to take out a single screw to move or remove the probe. Simply take the vent cover and filter out of one side, reach up there and the probe is right there. Moving or removing the probe can literally be done in less than a minute with no tools.

Like your title said, this is an issue that effects many RV owners to the point of thinking about buying a second AC unit. I also believe that ANY help you can give these AC units by trying a few mods would be beneficial and worthwhile. The design of these units are decades old. Honestly, Coleman doesn't really care or would want to invest any money into re-designing these units to work better. There's no reason for them to. So I absolutely believe there is room for improvement on the design and efficiency. I thought that 25 years ago actually, and learned something super cool (ugh) in the process. Let me post this and I'll blather in another post...

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum