Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 11:53 PM   #87
vegasruv24.1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #12329
I 'm not one to argue with the sign post and take the wrong way home, but if I tell you the best way to go and you know a better way, I'll listen,... and I have noticed this... the more heated the debate... the more people think before they post,... and that leaves the results... a half dozen or so get involved , while thousands reep the benefits,..I for one have for years done mods to ac's try'n to get the meat locker temps inside...it's a long hill....So, I read here lots of ideas, the most I've mess with,.. but gotta say, the insulating the roof duct caught my interest...so up on the roof I went again, temp gun in hand...lots of over 200 degree readings...as far as insulating the box....what did that really do... the box is already insulated ...but for sound, I had put phat mat on it... but I had the unit off..so this time, temp gun in hand, I took the cover off while it was running,... as soon as I removed the back half.... bamm… there's the problem...the reason that the fan suck in instead of blowing out is it does two things... one cools the condenser , and two,... cools the compressor... while the temp at the condenser was like 130...the compressor was at 220... and whats happening is that 200 degree air is forced up and around the air box... that was also at 200 degrees...so with the cover off, I found that the whole unit worked better.. and whats going on is the cover won't let the heat out, so,... with the cover off,.. I went and drank a beer...when I went back up there... the condenser was at 130.. the box was 110, the compressor was at 180,.. so my thought is what needs to happen is the front section of the cover needs to be sealed to not let the hot air in and around the air box...and I don't know if insulating the top and side does this.... but if it doesn't, I'll put a foam seal on the cover,... I also noted that there were only the four screws on the top,,, and not the usual ones on the bottom sides... mine was getting blown way out there from the fan..

so my conclusion is this...the insulation on the box wall by the compressor is a must...and next, I need to figure out a way to modify the rear section to let the heat out and at the same time keep from turning it into a bird house...lol

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.