Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #5
sab3864

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Maryland
THOR #12424
I find it interesting that Techs have told you pressing the button 6 times and holding it the 7th clears the error code. Documentation from the Thor owners Manual and Lippert directly say this is to put the controller in over-ride so that it allows you to put the slide in (or I guess out) even if there is a error code.

I have to press the slide extend button twice for both my slides. (I'm guessing this is similar to Rick pressing retract first then extend)

For me, as soon as you apply power to the coach (either plug in to shore power or turn house power switch on) you should see an error code on the slide controller.

The first time you press the slide extend/retract button it clears the error code (Lippert documentation in both the In Wall Owners Manual and In-Wall Slide-Out Troubleshooting "When an error code is present, the board needs to be reset. Energizing the extend/retract switch (Fig. 1) resets the board. Energize the extend/retract switch again for normal operation."). The interesting thing I have seen is once I clear the error, it does not reapper until the power to the coach is removed, applied, removed again and applied again (two times). The first time removing power and re-applying it does not present the error.

Both of my controllers are displaying 1 green and 9 red flashes = motor 1 Hall Power Short to Ground. Thor thinks the issue is both controllers are probably grounded to the same lug on the chassis and it is loose, the only reason it would be both controllers. The dealer has already replaced motor 1 and wiring harness on one slide which did not fix it. I also swapped the wiring harness for motor 1 and motor 2 and when I put power back it is still giving the code for motor 1 so this tells me it is not actually the motor or wiring harness.

I emailed Lippert at warranty@lci1.com and described my problem and got the most helpful information from them so far within a few hours. Their suggestion for troubleshooting was this:
"When operating the slide, you should have a red and green light that flash back and forth rapidly. If you do not have these lights when operating, there is an issue with the slide out controller and at that point you should replace.
The best way to test this system is to operate the slide. What code is flashing? Write down that code. Swap the motor harnesses from Motor 1 to Motor 2 and Motor 2 to Motor 1. Operate the slide again. Does the code change? No? Replace the controller or check for faulty grounds. Yes? Continuity tests on harness. Does it pass? NO, replace harness. Yes? Replace the slide out motor as there is an issue with the sensor on the top of the motor or the wires pulled out of the motor."

I personally don't buy into the thought that this error code is because there was not power and then power was applied to the coach. This is the same thing the dealer told me at first. Then as the conversation progressed we found this was just the excuse because they had it for two week and we were there to pick it up and they had not looked at it. But if they can program the controller to give 9 different error codes, they could add a 10th that says power was just applied, system resetting or something like that. because I have been able to spend many hours looking at documentation and speaking with Thor and Lippert hopefully I am getting close to a solution. They both told me if the ground is lost completely the system will not run so it needs addressed. The dealer is the only one that does not want to work on it.

Good Luck.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum