Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 03:15 AM   #92
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
wow, the thread really exploded. I recon I'm probably the engineer who was meant to be on the receiving end of some snarky comments a couple pages ago.
I don't really want to get into the weeds on that, except I do want to point out that my comments were originally driven becasue I was trying to understand the worth of insulating the plenum vs moving the temp probe, etc.... but with the data presented it wasn't telling me...so I was hoping for some clarification.... and that evolved into a simple effort of trying to help folks to better understand a little something...

By no means am I or was I trying to say that the mods discussed weren't helpful...of course they were.... As pointed out empirical evidence proved that they were.The OP would of course know if it's cooling better now than before. I was just trying to better understand the mods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

Sadly I only have the fancy laser temp gun so I can't measure the air temperature (I'll have to rectify that when I can).

I assume you mean one of those infrared temp 'guns' with a laser pointer....
I've found that you can get a pretty good sense of what's going on by measuring the surface temp of the diffusor/register after the air has passed over it for a few minutes. Not traceable to lab standards.... but a good approximation....

and yes, for what it's worth, I'm a mechanical engineer. Used to work in my dad's appliance repair business as a teen and summers during college, fixing window air conditioners mostly. That was many years ago & I'm not an HVAC expert by any means, not even close. I did take an HVAC engineering class as an elective in school though....not that that means much either.... it was interesting at the time though, learning about cooling and heating loads, properly sizing unit capacities, etc....

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum