Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
dpbain1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Washington
THOR #10467
Problems of a dolly with surge brakes on steep downgrades

I am trying to decide what dolly to buy. I prefer surge brakes however I've read in numerous places that they are not ideal in mountainous locations as they have a tendency to overheat on long and/or steep downgrades. Apparently this can happen even without the towing vehicle's brakes being applied. A manufacturer who sells both types also informed me that "all surge brakes will do this". I live in WA so whether I travel East or South, I will encounter long 5% or 6% grades.
On the other hand, I understand electric brake dollies need the addition of a brake controller. I haven't found if one can simply tie into the brake lights of the towing vehicle to activate the dolly's brakes.
So, I'm a dilemma as to which way to go. I must use a dolly as my 2015 Ford Escape cannot be towed 4 wheels down. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.