Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #12
jwcorry

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10300
I recommend leaving the gear selector/shifter in "D" and use the Tow/Haul mode especially when going down hill as the Transmission automatically shifts down a gear with every application of the brakes thereby allowing the engine compression to hold your speed down without overworking the brakes. You may want to just leave the Tow/Haul mode on as it will also downshift when stopping for traffic lights, etc. as well as keeping the transmission from "hunting" too much (causes heat build up). I find the T/H mode holds each gear a little longer than I prefer on relatively level ground, but it is not a big deal - just experiment a little until you find what works best for you.

BTW; I find the Cruise Control works OK on very level roads, but it cannot anticipate approaching grades and ends up shifting all the way down to 2nd, which causes the engine to rev quite high. I manually accelerate when approaching an uphill grade (even small ones) to keep the Transmission from going all the way to 2nd (unless it is a very steep or long grade) and keep the engine revs to a more pleasant level. This method takes a lot of attention and sometimes I just forget the Cruise Control.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum