Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #22
dpbain1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Washington
THOR #10467
Being the person who began this topic, I did some research including looking at another RV forum. In it was one response from a person who received a document from UFP, manufacturer of surge brakes entitled "Boat Trailer Brake Operation and Potential Effects of Long/Steep Downgrades".

The entire document is too long for this forum however it did say "Second, most boat trailers are equipped with “Surge” operated brakes. The standard “Surge” brakes apply when the brakes are applied on the tow vehicle and the trailer then tries to outrun the tow vehicle, compressing the master cylinder in the tongue and applying the trailer brakes. In 95% of customer situations, they work extremely well, are simple, and require little input from the tow vehicle driver. The issue arises when a customer travels in a location with long downgrades of several miles, and say a 5% or greater grade. In that case, if the tow vehicle is downshifted at the top of the summit to use engine braking down the grade, and the trailer brakes are automatically and continually applied by the surge actuator on the trailer tongue, the effect is the same as riding your vehicle brakes all the way down the hill. Eventually the brakes will overheat.

The document further suggested that an "Electric over hydraulic pump unit" be installed. And how is this applied? With an electric brake controller!
It seems to me that anyone living in the West Coast or near the Rockies would be foolhardy to consider a surge brake dolly system when the company who makes them sort of suggests otherwise.
I noticed those who had no problems with surge brakes lived in virtually flat terrain states so I guess where you will be driving most should be a primary factor in choosing a dolly.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.