Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 05:04 PM   #28
gmtech16450yz

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Sounds like a good article but IMHO not entirely true. I’ve pulled a tow dolly and boat trailer thru Colorado, Kentucky, Virginia, lots of BIG mountains and steep grades, never had a problem with overheating and I check my brakes.

You’ve read both sides of the opinions now. Bottom line, it’s your decision and your money, buy what you feel comfortable pulling. Best wishes in your decision, let us know how do.
Didn't bother reading the article but surge brakes can/do drag on downhills. Especially if your tires/ tire pressures/wheel bearings/etc are optimized well and there's little rolling drag on a heavy trailer. If you have low tire pressures, a big trailer that has a huge wind drag or simply a heavy boat that's on a single axle trailer and should actually be on a double, you could have enough drag that even on downhills the surge brakes wouldn't apply and drag.

Even the way you drive can effect surge brakes a little. For instance when I'm towing a trailer with surge brakes, I make it a point to accelerate hard when first starting after a full stop to make sure that tongue gets a good tug on it. Old or worn tongues do have a tendency to be sticky and can drag the brakes.

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum