Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 09:40 PM   #6
steveha

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta 24SR
State: Arizona
THOR #1894
Ed, you are doing everything correctly. you definitely need to manually downshift when going uphill or pushing into headwinds.
Try to keep the % engine Load @ < 85-90% as much as possible and when pulling hard, keep the RPMs in the 2600-3200 RPM range.
A manual downshift with your engine and transmission combination increases the engine RPM by very close to 500 RPM in the
fifth gear (Overdrive 0.83:1) to 4th gear (1:1 no overdrive) so you can manually downshift (5th to 4th here) safely at any RPM < 3400 RPM.
Best fuel mileage (when pulling hard) is again in the 2600-3200 RPM range.
Use the GPH parameter on a Scan Gauge II to see if a manual downshift is actually getting your better fuel mileage.
Normally the % engine load will drop 5-15% and the GPH will decrease from > 4.0 to ~3.0 or less.
If i am not on an interstate I always just leave it in 4th. (and we try to stay off the interstates as much as possible). In 27000 miles I have averaged 15.4 MPG.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum