Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
Schuttecow, this may be me being picky but like Dave stated, the converter charges the batteries and NOT the inverter. Inverters convert DC to AC and will drain your batteries, not charge them.
I'm not sure that's always the case. If designing from scratch, is it not possible to use an inverter/charger? If so, would you need a converter at all?

From other threads I've read it seems Thor adds a inverter or inverter/charger but leaves the standard converter installed.

An issue I can see from the battery manufacturers' point of view regarding having to honor the battery warranty, is that if Thor doesn't install enough battery capacity to support the inverter size it is very likely the average motorhome owner will kill the one or two house battery(ies) in short order.

If an RV has a fairly large inverter and only one or two small batteries, it's very easy to run them down below 50% when drawing a lot of power. And if the battery manufacturer has to replace the battery at their cost, I can see why they may push back.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum