Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 11:49 PM   #3345
DenverTransplant

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatrackRV View Post
Just took our first trip in our new THOR ACE while flat towing a Ford C-Max Energi. Went great!!! Drove from central Indiana to Raymond New Hampshire. So I have some questions for you experienced drivers of a motor home on a Ford F53 chassis. 1. I had the Tow/Haul button depressed and when slowing down the motor home, it would shift into a very low gear and really wind out the engine. Is this normal?? 2. Going up hills with cruise control on, the engine would sometimes shift into lower gears, as it should, and really wind up to 4000+ rpms as it attempts to maintain speed. Its really screaming. Can this engine run in a sustained fashion like this up a hill? I would disengage the cruise control and just take the hill more slowly. Do you all do the same thing? 3. Generally the ride was pretty good but some highways in America are in rough shape and the ride can be pretty difficult. I have Sumo Springs and a Safety Plus installed. I would just push through the rough ride. Is this everybody’s experience as well? Thx for the advice.

We use Tow/Haul mode just about all the time - towing a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. We tow a lot in the Rockies and have lots of occasions to get the engine up around 4500 RMP. That gets me up the grades to the tunnels on I-70 at around 40 MPH. Going down we run a lot at 4500 RPM which keeps the speed down to around 50 MPH with only having to occasionally tap the brakes as we go down from 11,000 ft to the kinda-sorta 5280. (For those who care about such trivia, there are two 5280 markers that I know of - one on the state capital steps (which is actually off by a few feet), and at Coors field the purple row of seats in the upper deck is at 5280)
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum