Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 10:00 PM   #17
Long & Winding road

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I have been looking into the same thing you are. Right now I just do a night or two dry camping and some "all day" picnics on the weekends (Mtn biking). But since its hot im running the Genny during the day for the AC so it will charge my battery’s fine for the nighttime use.

So it makes it hard to justify purchasing solar right now. Solar is something I just "want" and don’t "need" right now (but we are hoping next year I can work on the road for a couple of months and we will appreciate having the solar installed already).

Im looking at TWO 175 watt (350 total) solar panels ("Newpowa 175 watt" on Amazon). They are just a little larger than the 100 wants plus I would only have to drill holes for TWO panels VS 3 (or 4). I was going to install one on the front part and one on the tail that way if im parked with some trees around hopefully one will have full sun (This way In can purposely park the front of the RV in full shade to keep rig cooler in summer).

I like Renogy Rover 40 MPPT controller. That way I can install one more panel down the road and I think the MPPT will be worth the extra money from what I have read about them. I was going to put together my own "kit" off of Amazon since I really like the 175 watt panel and Renogy only has 100 (rectagular) or 150 watt (Square - but might be too wide for where I want to install).

Right now Im running TWO 6v AGM / 220 amp hours which is more than enough for week for a weekend WITHOUT Solar. Its a high ticket item but I think in the "long run" I will be glad I installed.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum