Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #21
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Equalizing the batteries is primary for stationary batteries. The theory is the acid stratifies and sinks to the bottom and the water floats on the top of the acid. Overcharging the batteries dissociates the water forming oxygen and hydrogen gas which stirs up the mixture. Then there is a lead sulfate problem. A fully charged battery contains pure lead (anode) and lead dioxide (cathode). As the battery discharges the lead sulfate forms in an amorphous compound on the plates and the reaction is easily reversed. If any battery sits long in a discharges state, the amorphous lead sulfate will crystallize and become hard to recharge. Many claims have been made that equalization breaks up sulfate crystals but that has not been proved scientifically.

Driving a coach regularly stirs the electrolytes quite well, equalization is not necessary. If you dry camp for long periods in one place, or store your coach for long periods the equalization will help revive your batteries, or you could just drive 60 mph on I-57 in Illinois, I-10 in Louisiana or I-65 in Indiana. If you choose to equalize you will loose significant distilled water and it should be replaced immediately. If any part of the battery's plates are exposed to the air. the battery will suffer major irreparable damage.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum