Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #11
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjyap View Post
Soooo... went out to test the connection via the "emergency start" idea- Thanks Javelin (also for the diagram).....

Started the rig and watched it for a couple minutes- chassis volts = 14.3; house volts= 12.5 and falling slowly.

Went back to work on another issue for about 5 minutes while the rig was running, came back up and it works!!!!

Didn't have to use the emergency start switch to test it, it just works.

To my knowledge, it hasn't worked since it quit working during the last 2 days of our recent trip.

The reason it is so important for the alternator to charge the house batteries = I inverted the outlet circuit so we could charge our computer and the wife or I could work in the passenger seat with our laptop while traveling.

I have a theory: I believe the chassis battery (the original since 2014) is dying a slow death. I am sure we were taxing it during our last trip. I bet the alternator was not able to keep up the volts high enough on the chassis battery to allow the relay to keep the circuit open and charge the house batteries while driving. Since it has been sitting, plugged in and charging, it may be ok for now. We will see during the next trip. Might need to replace the chassis battery soon.

Thanks to you guys, it fixed itself. (for now!)
There is a built in delay before the BCC closes the relay after starting the engine. Perhaps you just weren't patient enough.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum