Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 04:36 AM   #11
DenverTransplant

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
We have taken our 2017 ACE over the I-70 tunnels and Vail Pass multiple items with a toad. We use tow/haul mode (but did have to have the ECM flashed to fix the no downshift problem). Going up we do 35-40 MPH with RPM’s as high as 4500. Going down same thing. Tow/haul downshifts when you tap the brakes and generally holds us at 40-ish. The engine is running at 4000 to 4500 just about all the way.

I do have to occasionally hit the brakes going down, especially going down the west side as its a long, steep grade. I slow down to 5-10 MPH below what is comfortable and then let the coach speed up before hitting the brakes. Vail Pass is also pretty steep going down the west side, but with more curves. The first time we did I-70 we hadn’t had the ECM flash done and the brakes got pretty hot. Wouldn’t want to do it that way again.

Going down the east side isn’t as bad. The grades aren’t as steep, but it is a longer pull with some flats and climbs. Curves aren’t bad, except for east of Idaho Springs as you go through the tunnels and weave your way along Clear Creek until you hit the climb up Floyd Hill. We’ve made it down from there hardly having to touch the brakes at all.

Some Colorado passes aren’t as nice. Highway 40 over Berthoud Pass has a bunch of switchbacks and some pretty steep climbs and downgrades so its a lot slower. You can make it as the road itself is good road, just slower than everyone else. Monarch and Wolf Creek passes in the SW part of the state are also curvey and steep in places.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.