Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #3386
upnyfolks

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Well guys, the Electrical Gremlin got me this past weekend!! We have the 2017 Windsport 29M, 50 amp motorhome and our problem occurred in a junction box located between the generator and Auto Transfer Switch (ATS). Once again, it looks like a winged wire connector loosen and created an arc in the box which fried the connection of the generator and the ATS. Went to Lowes to get another junction box and parts. While there I asked if I could use butt connectors instead of using winged wire connectors and was told that would work too so that is what I did. Please check your electrical connections on a regular basis...dropping the mic!!!

Dino,
The same thing happened to us on our 2018 Hurricane 29M, I was running the generator and I could smell something burning, stopped the generator and the smell continued to get worse. After some searching I looked under the rear of the RV and saw smoke and flames coming from the junction box that connects the wiring leaving the generator to the wires going into the transfer switch...had I not caught this in time I'm sure the motorhome would have burnt to the ground.
The problem I found wasn't with the wire nuts, instead it appeared that the insulation on one of the hot wire was damaged at the point where the wire had been opened, this allowed arcing to occur that was sufficient to completely melt the junction box and start the fire.

Keep in mind that this is very close to the 80 gallon fuel tank...would make for a spectacular fire.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum