Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
Beacher

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
One additional note, if you have the strut replaced with a lower rated one, you face the chance of the door bouncing around in the wind during camping.....
The gas strut on my door appears to be properly rated. It will open the door on it's own pressure if you don't keep a hand on the door.

However, when it's fully extended, there is enough play in the ball-joint mounts and the strut itself to allow the door to be moved back and forth by the wind. I have checked the new models, and they have just as much play as mine, no difference.

It's not just limited to the Thor doors, but also the Winnebago, and other brands they had on their lot. I noticed this when McMahon's RV was still in business in Westminster, CA. It's a dealership located about four miles inland from the Pacific Ocean, but it still gets the nice afternoon ocean breeze. ALL the motorhomes with the doors open were flapping in the wind on their gas struts when I went shopping. And, you could hear many of them in unison banging gently, (about 1/8" to 1/2" of play), back and forth with the breeze.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.